The Level 3 International Foundation Diploma for Higher Education Studies (L3IFDHES) formally called the International Foundation Year (IFY) is a one year pre-university qualification which includes a significant degree of English language teaching. The qualification is designed to provide an entry route to UK and international university courses or progression onto the NCC Education Level 4 Diplomas in Computing, Business and Business IT.
The L3IFDHES aims to improve general and academic English language ability, enhance study skills and cultural understanding and introduce academic study in English in the fields of computing and/or business at a suitable level.
For entry onto the Level 3 International Foundation Diploma for Higher Education Studies (RQF) qualification a student must have:
- Successfully completed secondary education in an appropriate range of subjects;
- A valid score of 4.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination or equivalent. Alternatively a student can take the free NCC Education Standard English Placement Test.
To complete the qualification a student must study and pass eight units.
The qualification consists of six core units:
- Developing English Language Skills – develops English language skills to be able to communicate effectively beyond simple everyday contexts. It aims to improve all four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking and enables a student to acquire a broad range of knowledge which can be used to confidently and effectively communicate in English. The unit guides students through Intermediate and then Upper Intermediate levels of English language study.
- Advanced English Language Skills – enables a student to put into practice the language acquired and develop this into an advanced user of English. Students will make extensive use of the four skills of speaking, reading, listening and writing, as well as extending knowledge of complex grammar and advanced vocabulary.
- English for Academic Purposes – develops understanding and use of the key linguistic skills necessary to engage effectively in an academic environment where English is being taught.
- Study and Communication Skills – equips students with the essential study skills needed to succeed at university level. Students learn the basic skills necessary to conduct independent research, write academic papers, give formal oral presentations and apply what has been taught during lectures.
- Culture Studies – enables students to gain awareness and increased understanding of other cultures. Students learn about various features of a foreign country and its culture, with a particular focus on student life and studying abroad.
- Foundation Mathematics – builds upon existing knowledge in the areas of mathematics whilst introducing new topics appropriate across a range of academic disciplines.
A further two elective units must be taken:
- Introduction to Business – provides an introduction to the purpose, types and organisation of businesses. Students become familiar with a range of business concepts such as basic marketing practices.
- Introduction to Accounting and Economics – introduces the key principles of accounting and economics. Students become accustomed to concepts such as market structures and monetary policy and also learn how to produce simple financial statements.
Optional Module: Introduction to IELTS – prepares for assessment by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This unit does not carry any credits towards the qualifications and is not assessed by NCC Education.
Assessments for all units will be offered in a minimum of four assessment cycles throughout the year. The units are assessed by either written examination or assignment.
Past papers and sample assessments:
Developing English Language Skills
Advanced English Language Skills
English for Academic Purposes
Study and Communications Skills
Introduction to Computer Science
Introduction to Programming
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Accounting and Economics
To start studying the NCC Education International Foundation Diploma
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can point you in the right direction.